- Hands on teaching experience in your first semester of the program
- Small-size classes with personalized attention from professors
- Access to a dedicated student workroom, resource library, and commons group area
- Academic coaches who provide guidance to help keep students on track
The Tennessee Department of Education endorses the VolsTeach program to prepare highly qualified teachers to meet state and federal guidelines.
Teacher Education Admission Requirements:
- Minimum cumulative 2.7 GPA, major 2.5 GPA
- Successful completion of a background check
- Minimum ACT 22 or R-SAT 1020 score or complete Praxis/CORE exam
- Minimum of 45 credit hours
- Math Majors: Math 141,142, and 6 credit hours of 200-level math
- Science Majors: 8 credit hours of lab natural science
- Students must maintain these standards once admitted.
These requirements must be completed before Project-Based Instruction.
Click here for the Teacher Education application.
For the complete process and all steps for admission to Teacher Education, students will need to contact the Office of Advising and Student Services.(http://ehhsstudentservices.utk.edu/staff-2/).
- The Nivedita Ganguly Memorial VolsTeach Scholarship Fund. To honor Nita Ganguly, PhD, former clinical associate professor of VolsTeach, her husband Ranjan Ganguly, PhD, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Professor of Biochemistry & Cellular and Molecular Biology (BCMB), created an endowment that will provide scholarships for VolsTeach and BCMB students. The VolsTeach scholarship is named the Nivedita Ganguly Memorial VolsTeach Scholarship in her honor.
- The Brent L. and Rachel W. Trentham Endowed Scholarship, established in 2013, recognizes and awards a VolsTeach student who has demonstrated high-quality math teaching skills and commitment to the education profession. Brent and Rachel Trentham are alumni of the University of Tennessee. Apply here.
- The Stringer-Thompson-Taylor-Richardson-Cox Endowed Scholarship. This endowment was established by University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) alumni Jeanne and Neal Richardson, to support those students who show high academic performance and are planning to teach science. The name given to this scholarship honors four generations of Jeanne’s family and the positive influence they shared about the importance of good education. Apply here.
- The Cleonelda B. and Leo Harner Scholarship. This endowment was established through an estate gift of the Harners. Cloenelda Braden Harner was a UTK alum, having graduated with a degree in Home Economics.
- ACS-Hach Land Grant Undergraduate Scholarship. The mission of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people. This scholarship is awarded to undergraduate chemistry majors who attend one of ACS-Hach Land partner institutions and express an interest in teaching high school chemistry.
- Math Departmental Scholarships: Apply here.
- College of Education, Health & Human Sciences Scholarships: Apply here.